Sunday, March 5, 2017

Welcome to this exciting project!

The first time I saw the fold-out copy of La Prose du Transsibérien (#37) in the July 1987 issue of Fine Print, I was struck by the vibrancy of the imagery and the unusual presentation for a book published back in 1913. I couldn’t believe that the imagery was done by "pochoir," a French stencil technique used for fashion prints and in limited edition books at that time. The techniques were far more painterly than those I had learned in a pochoir workshop that I took in 1988, where we used 5 mil acetate for the stencil and a dry French pochoir brush with gouache.

When I discovered that there was an original copy of the book at the Getty Research Institute (#124), I asked Marcia Reed if I could bring my Women of Letters group (founded in 1980, all letterpress printers) to view it. The elaborate opening of the folds, seeing nothing at all until the last unfolding, created a dramatic moment that was certainly intentional. I read that painter Sonia Delaunay and poet Blaise Cendrars had not completed the projected edition of 150 copies, and I wondered why. Thus began my eager quest to find out more about the pochoir techniques used for La Prose, and to research why the edition was not completed. (You can read my conclusions in the article in the pages area.) Absolutely essential for my research has been the offset facsimile of La Prose (#131) published by Yale University in 2008, now out of print.
The 2008 Yale facsimile.

I found Nathalie Courderc and Christine Menguy at Atelier Coloris in Ploubazlanec, France from an online article by Paul Zwartkruis titled, Masters of the Pochoir. I realized that they were probably the only commercial firm left who understood the techniques that were in place in 1913. They had been trained by the venerable firm Daniel Jacomet in Paris, where they used metal stencil plates and a wet brush. I worked with Atelier Coloris for a week in 2015 while on a month-long research grant from Scripps College.

One day that week, Nathalie Couderc drove me across the Brittany peninsula along a maze of curving roads to visit Mme. Miriam Cendrars, age 95. Mme. Cendrars is Blaise Cendrars’ daughter, and wrote a book about her father. She also produced a facsimile of the Geneva copy of La Prose (#11) in 2011, which sold out within two weeks. As we drove back from the visit, I became convinced that a new version of La Prose could be done with original pochoir, now that I had found Atelier Coloris. Mme. Cendrars gave me her son’s contact information should I need to obtain permissions.

I am now in the process of producing a re-creation of La Prose du Transsibérien in an edition of 150 copies. I will work with printer/type collector Michael Caine in Paris to typeset and print the book. I will take the printed sheets to Atelier Coloris to work on the pochoir with them. Then the pages will be bound and the vellum covers painted in oils at my own Two Hands Press. The first copies are projected to be completed by November of 2017. Pre-publication sales information will be available in due course.

Atelier Coloris


Nathalie Couderc and Christine Menguy at Atelier Coloris

In this blog, I will discuss the distinctive production techniques used for the pochoir and explain how I discovered that Blaise used 38 typefaces for his poem. I will show where the book was printed and where the pochoir was probably done. The variations in the numbering of the edition and in the folding of the book will be addressed. I’ll have step-by-step photos of various pochoir techniques, and of the typesetting, printing and binding processes.  For general information about the project and my work, please click the links on the right-hand side of the page.

My long-term goal is to re-introduce the original pochoir techniques so that book artists have a revitalized tool to add to their repertoire. In that vein, I asked Talas a few years ago to start importing pochoir brushes. For an explanation of early pochoir technique, I recommend the 1925 book by Jean Saudé, Traité d’Enluminure d’Art au Pochoir. In 2013, Havilah Press commissioned an English translation of two sections of Saudé’s text, and published this, in a limited edition, accompanied by an introduction outlining the history of pochoir, two pochoir illustrations, and a list of references.

 In my next entry, I will show how I started my investigations with gouache color swatches and a Pantone color chart.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Guys !

    USA Fresh & Verified SSN Leads AVAILABLE with best connectivity
    All Leads have genuine & valid information

    **HEADERS IN LEADS**
    First Name | Last Name | SSN | Dob | DL Number |Address | State | City | Zip | Phone Number | Account Number | Bank Name

    *Price for SSN lead $2
    *You can ask for sample before any deal
    *If anyone buy in bulk, we can negotiate
    *Sampling is just for serious buyers

    ==>ACTIVE & FRESH CC FULLZ ALSO AVAILABLE<==
    ->$5 PER EACH

    ->Hope for the long term deal
    ->Interested buyers will be welcome

    **Contact 24/7**
    Whatsapp > +923172721122
    Email > leads.sellers1212@gmail.com
    Telegram > @leadsupplier
    ICQ > 752822040

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

      Delete
  2. Good day I am Olivia Chris by name and i live in united kingdom i will like to talk about the goodness of God in my life after so many months of trying to get a loan on the INTERNET and was been scammed so i became desperate in getting a loan from a legit lender on-line then i saw a comment from a friend called Carl Peter and he talked about this legit loan company where he got his loan fast and easy without any stress so he introduced me to a woman called Mrs MORGAN who controls a firm called COURTNEY INVESTMENT LIMITED, So i applied for a loan sum of ($360,000.00 USD) with low interest rate of 3% so the loan was approved and deposited into my bank account that was how i was able to get my loan to keep my broken business running and also to pay off my bills so i am advising everyone of you who is interested in getting a loan fast and easy to kindly contact them via email: courtneyinvestmentlimited@yahoo.com
    to get any kind of loan you need today, thanks as you read the greatest testimony of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036 Thank

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was infected with Genital Herpes Virus six months ago, ever since then i have been searching for cure everywhere because i was feeling so uncomfortable with it. I have been dating for almost 5 years until i contracted Genital Herpes from my ex-boyfriend. Since then i became very sad about the whole situation, always going online checking if i could get a cure to Genital Herpes, then i came across so many testimonies. Due to my seriousness and eagerness to be completely cured, i became a victim of fraud after contacting several so-called herbal doctors i was referred to. I lost a lot of money but i didn't stop searching for a cure. Then one faithful day, i came across a testimony of a lady saying that she got her Genital herpes cured by a Great Herbal Doctor she called Dr Ogudugu by contacting him through his email address. And she advised anyone with Genital Herpes or Simplex Herpes to contact the herbal doctor for Herbal Cure. I contemplated for about 4 hours whether or not to contact him. then something inside of me told me 'Nothing good comes easy'. I then contacted him through his email and told him my problem. He told me all the things I needed to do and also gave me instructions to follow, which i did properly. Just within weeks of drinking and applying the herbal medication he sent to me through dhl delivery service, i started seeing changes, i went to my medical doctor for check-up, i was so happy when the doctor told me i was no more having Genital Herpes Virus, it was all tears of Joy from that moment, People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health and if i could ever meet a Genuinely Great Herbal Doctor. I'm so grateful to him. i am completely free from Genital Herpes Virus, i introduced a family friend who have Simplex Herpes virus to him, He called me and told me he was also cure completely. I promised to share my own testimony like that of the lady on the internet. Friends, if you are also struggling with Herpes disease you can as well Contact him via Email: greatogudugu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost my job few months back and there was no way to get income for my family, things was so tough and I couldn't get anything for my children, not until a met a recommendation on a page writing how Mr Bernie Wilfred helped a lady in getting a huge amount of profit every 6 working days on trading with his management on the cryptocurrency Market, to be honest I never believe it but I took the risk to take a loan of $1000. and I contacted him unbelievable and I was so happy I earn $12,500 in 6 working days, the most joy is that I can now take care of my family I don't know how to appreciate your good work Mr. Bernie Doran God will continue to bless you for being a life saver I have no way to appreciate you than to tell people about your good services.
For a perfect investment and good strategies contact Mr Bernie Doran via WhatsApp :+1(424)285-0682 or Telegram : @Bernie_doran_fx or Email : Bernie.doranfx01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to leave this post here as a sign of gratitude since that is one of the least BRIXTON asked of me. From my calculations, I made $25,200 in 1-week trading but unfortunately lost it all after I tried to participate in an airdrop, I became very devastated until I read some wonderful reviews about WIZARD BRIXTON. I feel so much joy right now because BRIXTON did come through for me by getting my money back from those scam artists, my advice is for you to be mindful of the links you click online to avoid losing your money. The experience of losing your money to a scammer is not funny no matter how much. Feel free to ask me more hanswilton3@gmail.com or contact WIZARD BRIXTON via
    EMAIL : WIZARDBRIXTON(AT) GMAIL (DOT) COM
    WHATS-APPS : (+1- /807-23 ) 4-0428 .

    ReplyDelete