Monday, March 13, 2017

On Color in "La Prose"


Early in my study of La Prose, I thought I might know why its makers failed to achieve the projected edition number of 150 copies: perhaps it was the complicated pochoir.  I thought that it might have been so complex that perhaps the edition wasn’t even completed by the time WWI came around. If I could make my own facsimile of La Prose, then I could possibly figure out how long it would take one pocheur to complete 150 copies. Therefore I would know how long it might take if several people worked on it. The first few copies were done by November of 1913; if the pochoir process took a year or more (if only one pocheur was working on the book), then the start of WWI in August of 1914 could have interrupted the pochoir work on the book.

In early 2012 I embarked on a study of the making of La Prose and the pochoir techniques used in the book in 1913. Marcia Reed, Chief Curator at the Getty Research Institute, was extremely helpful and allowed me to photograph and study the copy at the GRI (#124). I needed to find out how many stencils were required for the four-page book (one stencil per color). Note that the four pages making up the book were glued together by overlapping the approximately 14 x 20-inch pages, and then folding the more than six-foot-long book in half, and finally folding the book into 21 panels (or 20, or 22 panels). The book was normally glued into its folded and painted vellum cover, although the Getty copy was separated from its cover.

In order make a facsimile of La Prose du Transsibérien, I would have to study the color choices Sonia Delaunay made for her imagery.  I printed out my photogaphs of the Getty copy, but of course, the colors on my computer screen and my printed images would be rather different from the original. In order to make a detailed study, I made basic tracings of the color areas on the first page using the very handy Yale facsimile, noting overlapping areas.

Basic tracing of the first page of the Getty copy of La Prose.
 The next step was to give each area a basic color indication, red, yellow, blue, orange, noting tints and shadings and areas that weren’t painted. Each major color on the first page was then given a Pantone number, which includes a recipe for mixing ink colors for printing.

Marking up the first page with color indications.
Detail of early markup of lower left corner of first page.
 The next three pages were analyzed next, identifying matching colors while looking for new colors to pop up.

Marked-up tracing of page 2.
Detail of tracing of page 2.
Marked-up tracing of page 3.
Marked-up tracing of page 4.
The Pantone chart is printed in ink by the offset process, but the original imagery is painted with gouache. So I had to make my own gouache charts to supplement the Pantone choices in order to pin down the colors more accurately in the Yale facsimile. 

Gouache charts.
Meanwhile, I was teaching full-time at Scripps College and making letterpress books in editions of about 100 copies with my students in the typography class every semester, as well as teaching a Core Curriculum class. So it wasn’t until June of 2014 that I was able to take all this data back to the Getty to compare the original colors to the Yale facsimile colors. I laid out the Yale facsimile next to the Getty original copy, brought my Pantone and gouache charts and my printed photographs.

 Comparing the Getty copy, Yale facsimile, and gouache samples at the Getty Research Institute in June, 2014.
Every color was re-evaluated and a master list of Winsor-Newton gouache colors and Pantone colors was developed. 

Working on a color master list.
 My research took me to Princeton University in October of 2013 and again in July of 2014. Julie Mellby, the Graphic Arts Librarian, oversees the Charles Rahn Fry pochoir collection among many others. I was able to order books to study from the collection, and I actually found a Jean Saudé pochoir copper stencil from his 1925 deluxe edition pochoir book that they did not realize that they had. I’ll write more about the metal stencils used for pochoir later, but Julie was able to arrange for me to see the La Prose copy at Rutgers University nearby (#97). It was framed and under glass, but had once been folded into 21 panels. I compared my color charts to this copy as well, and later they helpfully sent me a photograph of La Prose for further research.

On that same trip in July 2014, my husband Gary and I visited our son Jason and wife Yuka who were living on Roosevelt Island in New York. Jason had made plans to play golf at his alma mater, Yale University, with his Dad and two professors, so I had the opportunity to view the Yale copy (#131) at the Beineke Library. 

Comparing the Beinecke copy with gouache samples at the Beinecke Library, Yale University in July, 2014.
 Timothy Young, Curator of Modern Books and Literature, who conceived and oversaw the project to print the Yale facsimile in 2008, met with me to discuss my findings. The vellum cover was still attached to the Yale copy on the map side, and the imagery did not fold toward the text, as in the Getty copy. Tim brought out the prospectus which was used for publicity, and I was able to photograph it alongside my color swatches as well as take extensive photographs of the Yale copy. I modified one of my color findings after studying the Yale original, but the colors were unsurprisingly similar to and as vibrant as the Getty original. 

Come back next time for the next step in my journey with La Prose.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Guys !

    USA Fresh & Verified SSN Leads AVAILABLE with best connectivity
    All Leads have genuine & valid information

    **HEADERS IN LEADS**
    First Name | Last Name | SSN | Dob | DL Number |Address | State | City | Zip | Phone Number | Account Number | Bank Name

    *Price for SSN lead $2
    *You can ask for sample before any deal
    *If anyone buy in bulk, we can negotiate
    *Sampling is just for serious buyers

    ==>ACTIVE & FRESH CC FULLZ ALSO AVAILABLE<==
    ->$5 PER EACH

    ->Hope for the long term deal
    ->Interested buyers will be welcome

    **Contact 24/7**
    Whatsapp > +923172721122
    Email > leads.sellers1212@gmail.com
    Telegram > @leadsupplier
    ICQ > 752822040

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day I am Olivia Chris by name and i live in united kingdom i will like to talk about the goodness of God in my life after so many months of trying to get a loan on the INTERNET and was been scammed so i became desperate in getting a loan from a legit lender on-line then i saw a comment from a friend called Carl Peter and he talked about this legit loan company where he got his loan fast and easy without any stress so he introduced me to a woman called Mrs MORGAN who controls a firm called COURTNEY INVESTMENT LIMITED, So i applied for a loan sum of ($360,000.00 USD) with low interest rate of 3% so the loan was approved and deposited into my bank account that was how i was able to get my loan to keep my broken business running and also to pay off my bills so i am advising everyone of you who is interested in getting a loan fast and easy to kindly contact them via email: courtneyinvestmentlimited@yahoo.com
    to get any kind of loan you need today, thanks as you read the greatest testimony of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036 Thank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036 Thank

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was infected with Genital Herpes Virus six months ago, ever since then i have been searching for cure everywhere because i was feeling so uncomfortable with it. I have been dating for almost 5 years until i contracted Genital Herpes from my ex-boyfriend. Since then i became very sad about the whole situation, always going online checking if i could get a cure to Genital Herpes, then i came across so many testimonies. Due to my seriousness and eagerness to be completely cured, i became a victim of fraud after contacting several so-called herbal doctors i was referred to. I lost a lot of money but i didn't stop searching for a cure. Then one faithful day, i came across a testimony of a lady saying that she got her Genital herpes cured by a Great Herbal Doctor she called Dr Ogudugu by contacting him through his email address. And she advised anyone with Genital Herpes or Simplex Herpes to contact the herbal doctor for Herbal Cure. I contemplated for about 4 hours whether or not to contact him. then something inside of me told me 'Nothing good comes easy'. I then contacted him through his email and told him my problem. He told me all the things I needed to do and also gave me instructions to follow, which i did properly. Just within weeks of drinking and applying the herbal medication he sent to me through dhl delivery service, i started seeing changes, i went to my medical doctor for check-up, i was so happy when the doctor told me i was no more having Genital Herpes Virus, it was all tears of Joy from that moment, People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health and if i could ever meet a Genuinely Great Herbal Doctor. I'm so grateful to him. i am completely free from Genital Herpes Virus, i introduced a family friend who have Simplex Herpes virus to him, He called me and told me he was also cure completely. I promised to share my own testimony like that of the lady on the internet. Friends, if you are also struggling with Herpes disease you can as well Contact him via Email: greatogudugu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete